The History of St. Michaels and Sts. Peter and Paul.
“Your ways, O Lord, make known to me; Teach me your paths, Guide me in your truth and teach me, For you are God, my Savior…” Palsm 25:4-5
TABLE OF CONTENTS
• The Beginning: Father Coudrin and the Congregation of the Sacred Hearts
• The Waialua Catholic Mission
• St. Michael’s Parish
• The First St. Michael Replacement Church
• The Sacred Hearts Mission Church
• The Current St. Michael Church
• The Holy Name Societies, the Sacred Hearts Society, and Sodality
• St. Michael School
• St. Michael in the 1950′s
• Origin of Sts. Peter and Paul Mission Church
• St. Michael in the 1960′s
• The New St. Michael Sanctuary, Sacristy, and Rectory
• Sts. Peter and Paul Mission Renovation and Silver Jubilee
• The St. Michael Filipino Catholic Club
• Sts. Peter and Paul Mission: The Second Renovation
• St Michael in the 1980′s
• St. Michael in the 1990′s
• The Start of the Millennium
• St. Michael the Archangel Patron Saint
In 1840, a small Catholic community, gathering along the banks of a stream on Oahu, established the Waialua Catholic Mission. In time, other people from different places and cultures joined this community of faith.
On May 8,1853, 150 years ago, the people and friends of the Waialua Catholic Mission built the first Roman Catholic Church in the North Shore area. In a dedication ceremony, they placed the new church and new parish under their patron saint: St. Michael the Archangel. This event marked the beginning of St. Michael Parish, as recorded in Diocesan records.
This article provides a chronological sketch of St. Michael Parish’s history. Its purpose is to facilitate learning or the recollection of those people whose lives and works embraced and shared the love of Christ with others and with us here on Oahu’s North Shore. Henceforth, we can extend our appreciation to them in a spirit of love, admiration, and thanksgiving. Remembering their dedication, sacrifices, and resolute trust in the Lord, we can also find the inspiration to continue making St. Michael, Sts. Peter and Paul, ourselves, and others dwelling places to learn, experience, and share God’s love.
The Beginning: Father Coudrin and the Congregation of the Sacred Hearts
Experiencing a vision during moments of intense prayer, Father Marie-Joseph-Pierre Coudrin foresaw the establishment of a congregation whose mission would include evangelization in lands far beyond France. In 1800, Father Coudrin founded a religious community called the Congregation of the Sacred Hearts of Jesus and Mary and of the Perpetual Adoration of the Blessed Sacrament. The priests were called the Picpus Fathers, so named after a street in Paris where their religious house was located. In 1825, Father Coudrin informed the Evangelization Congregation in Rome that his priests, brothers, and sisters were willing to serve in any foreign mission the Church might assign them.
In 1826, the Evangelization Congregation in Rome contacted Father Coudrin offering the Congregation of the Sacred Hearts an evangelizing mission to the Sandwich Islands. Father Coudrin accepted the offer.
Father Coudrin then selected three priests for this first Catholic mission to the Islands choosing Father Alexis-Jean-Augustin Bachelot, SS.CC. to lead the missionary group who arrived at the Honolulu Harbor in 1827.
In 1829, government officials took an anti-Catholic stance. They harassed and punished those who wanted to become or became Catholics. Eventually, they deported Father Bachelot and refused the landings of Rev. Bishop Jerome Rouchouze, SS.CC. first Vicar Apostolic of Oriental Oceania, and Rev. Louis Maigret, SS.CC. to the Sandwich Islands.
During his brief stay in Honolulu, Father Bachelot provided religious instruction to some native Hawaiians, one of whom was Luika Kaumaka.
The Waialua Catholic Mission
Records indicate that Catechist Luika Kaumaka, seeking solace from the oppression related to the practice of her faith, moved from Honolulu to the small town of Waialua on Oahu’s North Shore. Here, she developed a small community of Hawaiian catechumens during the 1830′s.
In 1839, a positive change in circumstances occurred when the government removed the illegality and sanctions against the practice of the Catholic religion. Upon learning the good news, Bishop Rouchouze decided to revisit the Islands and establish the Apostolate Vicariate bringing with him Fathers Louis Maigret, Ernest Heurtel, and Dositeus Desvault.
In 1840, Catechist Luika Kaumaka petitioned the Apostolate Vicariate for a priest and Bishop Rouchouze sent Father Joseph Desvault, SS.CC. With the faith community formed by Luika Kaumaka, Father Desvault built a small thatched roof chapel at Paalaa on the banks of the Paukaula stream. He then invited Bishop Rouchouze to baptize the catechumens. In Waialua, Bishop Rouchouze baptized 96 Hawaiians and a few months later, Pro-Vicar Bishop Maigret baptized another group. These groups, together with the clergy, formed the original nucleus of what was eventually to become St. Michael Parish.
Expanding his missionary work, Father Desvault visited other villages along the North Shore baptizing the new catechumens. Records also indicate that, in 1841, Bishop Maigret appointed Father Desvault Vice Praefect. In 1846, Father Desvault became Provincial for the Sacred Hearts Congregation in Hawaii and left Waialua to perform duties at Ahuimanu College on windward Oahu.
After Father Desvault left Waialua, Father John Chrysostome Holbein, SS.CC. ministered the Waialua mission. In 1847, Father Barnaba Castan, who belonged to the French Polynesian Province, then served as Pastor.
St. Michael’s Parish
As the Waialua Catholic Mission grew, the community became interested in building a new church to replace the chapel. The community discussed this idea with Father Raymond Delalande, SS.CC., who became Pastor of both the Waialua and Waianae missions in 1848. Father Delalande then presented their request to build a new church to Bishop Maigret who, in turn, conferred with King Kamehameha IV.
The King granted Bishop Maigret’s request, and by Royal Patent, awarded the Vicariate the land parcel required to build the new church. Bishop Maigret arranged to have a master carpenter and a mason help with the construction. The architects and contractor, skilled tradesmen, the Catholic community, and friends then proceeded to build the first Roman Catholic Church in the North Shore area.
To build the church, workers gathered boulders, rocks, and stones from nearby areas. They also collected coral, pounding it into lime to be used as cement. They laid the foundation, set the walls, placed the rafters, and covered the roof. With hard work, they built a church 33′ x 84′ with a tower three stories high. The second story of the tower contained the pastor’s quarters. A ten-foot steeple and cross crowned the third story belfry. To reinforce the structure, the builders also constructed several buttresses along the sides of the Church and along the back of the sanctuary’s wall.
On May 8,1853, Bishop Maigret, placing the Church and community under the patronage of St. Michael, celebrated High Mass as hundreds of people attended the dedication ceremony that also heralded the beginning of St. Michael Parish.
Between 1853 and 1857, Father Arsenius Robert Walsh, a British national sent to the Islands by Bishop Rouchouze in 1836 and replacing Father Delalande, served as pastor for St. Michael. In 1857, Father Joseph Desvault returned to Waialua to serve again as Pastor for a second term.
St. Michael Church 1853
The First St. Michael Replacement Church
In 1853, when the first St. Michael Church was built, people lived in the nearby camps. During a 60-year period thereafter, people began moving out of the camps to those established closer to the sugar mill or other places several miles away from the church. Despite the problems of distance, some of the faithful, in dwindling numbers, still attended church services.
In 1909, Father Konze took action in a land exchange to start the construction of a replacement church and rectory on a site closer to the mill where most of the parishioners now lived to boost attendance. After acquiring land from the exchange of a portion of the property at the original Church site and a donation of additional three fourths of an acre of land from a local Hawaiian family, Father Konze oversaw the construction of the second St. Michael Church at the present site.
St. Michael Church 1912
The Church, completed in 1912, was a double frame building measuring 33′ x 100′ with two front steeples. Bishop Libert Hubert Boeynaems, SS.CC. blessed the second St. Michael Church.
The Sacred Hearts Mission Church
In addition, on leased Bishop Estate land allocated by Mr. William Goodale and with help from Waialua Agricultural Company, the Catholic community built the Sacred Hearts Church, the first mission church of St. Michael, at Kawailoa in 1912.
Sacred Hearts Church (Kawailoa, Hawaii)
Through various fund raising activities and donations, Father Konze and the North Shore Catholic Community and friends obtained the resources necessary to provide church furnishings.
The Current St. Michael Church
In 1923, after a fire destroyed the first replacement church and rectory, parishioners constructed the second replacement St. Michael Church. With the help again of Mr. William Goodale, manager of the Waialua Agricultural Company, Father Konze and the St. Michael community built another Church, this time patterned like the San Gabriel mission church in California. So named after the archangel Gabriel meaning “Strength of God,” the San Gabriel mission was the only mission of the twenty-one with architecture patterned after the Cathedral Cordoba in Spain reflecting a distinguishing pattern of buttresses. During the construction period, Father Konze conducted services in a large warehouse functioning as a temporary chapel provided for use by Mr. William Goodale. In November 1923, the contractor, Bolen and Company, completed the building of the third St. Michael Church in Waialua.
St. Michael Church and Rectory 1923
In 1924, when Father Sebastian Konze went to St. Joseph in Hilo, Father Libert Frank Silva, SS.CC. became pastor of St. Michael and its mission church at Kawailoa. He also assumed pastoral duties for the Kahuku mission. During his pastorship, Father Silva renovated the St. Michael Church by adding a bell tower to the right of the entrance and by replacing the iron roof with tiles.
St Michael Church with Bell Tower
(Artist: B. Fettig)
In 1928, Bishop Stephen Alencastre, SS.CC. assigned responsibility for Our Lady of Sorrows, the Wahiawa mission, to Father Silva. This arrangement lasted until 1939 when Bishop Alencastre assigned Father Peter Van Megen SS.CC. the Wahiawa mission as its first pastor.
The Holy Name Societies, the Sacred Hearts Society, and Sodality
A special edition of the Catholic Herald reported some of the significant events happening in Hawaii between 1934 and 1941, the pre-World War II years. In 1936, Bishop Stephen Alencaster announced the start of the beatification process for Father Damien. In 1939, the College of Cardinals elected Secretary of State for Vatican City Eugenio Giovanni Pacelli, Pope Pius XTI, as Pontiff. In 1941, the Most Reverend James Sweeney, D.D. became the first Diocesan bishop for the Sandwich Island Vicariate. With the approval of Pope Pius XII, Bishop Sweeney elevated the Vicariate Apostolic into the Diocese of Honolulu.
As the sugar industry’s labor needs grew, plantation owners recruited immigrants from China, Portugal, Japan, Korea, Puerto Rico, Philippines and other areas to work in their fields and mills changing over time, the ethnic composition of the various Catholic parishes.
Around the 1930′s up to the 70′s, several clubs were very strong and active within St. Michael Parish including the Holy Name Society, the Junior Holy Name Society, the Sacred Hearts Society, and the Sodality. Many of its members were of Portuguese ancestry.
On assigned Sundays of the month, the members of the different societies attended Mass wearing uniforms and sat in reserved seats in the front rows of the Church. Members of these organizations also supported the various fund raising activities of the parish such as carnivals, bazaars, and food sales. They helped to build and man booths, put up decorations, make sweet bread, malasadas, and various jellies.
The Holy Name and Sacred Hearts Societies also organized and participated in processions venerating the Blessed Virgin Mary, the Sacred Hearts of Jesus and Mary, and St. Michael. These organizations together with other parishioners and friends decorated, carried, and displayed the statues of Jesus Christ, the Blessed Virgin, and St. Michael with flowers and leis during the processions around the nearby camps.
Together with other parishioners, these organizations made many contributions to the church participating in various parish, vicariate, and diocesan events. Although these organizations are inactive today, its former members remain dedicated parishioners participating in the liturgical celebrations, ministries, and volunteer services.
St. Michael School
In 1934, Father Ernest Clans, SS.CC. became pastor of St. Michael Parish. With the approval of Bishop Sweeney, Father Claus started planning for the establishment of an eight-grade school. He facilitated the construction of a gym naming it Damien Hall after Father Damien de Veuster, SS.CC. of Molokai. In 1944, Damien Hall became the site of the first St. Michael kindergarten and first grade. In 1945, the Maryknoll Sisters, under the leadership of Sister M. Callista, taught these classes.
Succeeding Father Claus, Father Benno Evers, SS.CC., former superintendent of the Hawaii Boys Home in Hilo, continued the task of building St. Michael School. Bishop Sweeney helped by acquiring formerly owned plantation land through negotiations with Waialua Agricultural Company. By 1949, Father Benno added a basement and stage to Damien Hall, constructed a two-story Sisters Convent with an inner courtyard, and ensured the completion of the planned eight grades together with an administration building containing a library and dispensary. Architect Rothwell of Honolulu designed the structures built by the firm’s contractor Isamu Abe. Bishop Sweeney blessed the Hall, the Sisters Convent, and St. Michael School.
From 1947 up to Father Benno’s retirement in 1950, four priests performed pastoral duties at St. Michael Parish: Fathers Octave Igodt, SS.CC. (1947), Father Jozef Verhaeren, SS.CC. (1947), Father Adrian Van Tilburg, SS.CC. (1948), and Father Martin Termote, SS.CC. (1949). Father Louis Boeynaems, SS.CC. became pastor for St. Michael Parish in 1950.
In 1953, children from the public schools during “Release Time Class,” started attending St. Michael School for catechism classes on certain assigned days of the month. The Maryknoll Sisters organized various activities such as annual retreats, monthly communion, religious discussions, Hawaiian May processions, and excursions to the seminary for young men and women.
St. Michael in the 1950′s
During this period, parishioners purchased items from a thrift shop connected to the rectory. Parishioners also engaged in devotional Catholicism gathering and cherishing their favorite statues, medals, scapulars, pictures, and rosaries. They attended benediction, novena, and rosary prayer services frequently. Immigrant groups celebrated their traditions in the form of fiestas, processions, and pageants. The statues of the Sacred Heart, Blessed Mother, and St. Michael occupied prominent places on the front sides of the church accompanied by devotional wax candles placed nearby.
The special edition of the Catholic Herald reported Island Catholics in the 1950′s holding large rallies in Honolulu drawing crowds by the thousands to honor the Blessed Mother, celebrate Mass, recite the Rosary, and to pray for peace. The Catholic Church in Hawaii grew in membership and in construction activity under the leadership of Bishop Sweeney. Catholics witnessed the passing of Pope Pius XII and the election of Angelo G. Roncalli, Pope John XXIII.
Origin of Sts. Peter and Paul Mission Church
Catholics residing in the Waimea, Pupukea, and the Sunset area informed Father Louis of their desire to have a mission church facilitating attendance. Services were being conducted at the time in private homes and then in an old army barracks on privately owned land. On property located just inshore from the northern point of Waimea Bay, dilapidated remnants of an old quarry company sat. Father Louis described the property as having a tower and old abandoned buildings with walls, no floors, no roof, and full of weeds and trees. The tower that previously functioned as a stone crusher had become a well-known landmark of the area and the propertywas for sale.
Father Louis purchased the property, and with the help of the Catholic community and plantation workers, cleared the area, and installed new cement floors, windows, and a roof. After a year of work, Father Louis held the first services in the new mission church on Easter Sunday, April 5,1953.
Sts. Peter and Paul Mission Church in the 1950′s
(Artist: M. Leineweber)
In 1956, Father Maurice Holeman, SS.CC. became Pastor and Father Michael Chong, SS.CC., Associate Pastor of St. Michael Parish. Father Maurice Chong worked with Father Holeman until 1959 and thereafter left for a new assignment.
Father Alan Nagai replaced Father Chong performing duties as an Associate Pastor from 1959 to 1960. In 1960, Father Maurice Holeman and Father Nagai went to their new assignments. Father Ildephonse Kuntz, SS.CC. replaced Father Maurice Holman, and in 1961, became Associate Pastor to Father Matthew Lochs, SS.CC. until 1963.
In the 1960′s, events such as the Vietnam War escalation, the civil rights movement, and the Second Vatican Council focused thought and attention to what being a good Catholic meant. Of special concern was how the decrees of the Vatican Council would be implemented at the parish level.
At Sts. Peter and Paul Mission, after several days of work cleaning the debris and making repairs, parishioners and friends restored the church after a flood from a broken dam caused damage to building and property in 1962.
St. Michael in the 1960′s
Father Matthew Lochs, SS.CC. became Pastor of St. Michael in 1961. Among his regular duties and saying Mass at Wahiawa, Father Lochs worked closely with the choir. Father Lochs arranged to have the pipe organ brought to Waialua from St. Augustine’s Church placing the instrument in the choir loft. Requiring practice twice a week, he taught choir members how to respond singing in Latin or English during services. During Christmas, members of the choir visited homes in the nearby camps singing Christmas carols, donating the monetary gifts received to the Church.
Father Lochs also initiated religious education programs and activities for youth. He strengthened the financial condition of St. Michael parish facilitating the eventual hiring of paid lay school personnel when the Maryknoll Sisters began withdrawing their teachers due to the decline of religious vocations and reorganization.
Father David Paul Todd, SS.CC. assisted Father Lochs from 1963-1969. Father Francis Schellemans, SS.CC. (1965) and Father Martin Mary Fernandez, SS.CC. (1969) also worked with Father Lochs.
The New St. Michael Sanctuary, Sacristy, and Rectory
When Father Anthony Everaert, SS.CC. assumed the pastorship of St. Michael in September 1969, St. Michael School became the first Catholic School in Hawaii to staff its positions completely with lay personnel.
In 1973, the Dominican Sisters of St. Catherine of Sienna from the Philippines arrived at the request from Bishop John J. Scanlon, D.D. to help St. Michael School’s staffing situation. Sister Consejo Cabansal, O.P. became the school principal.
The Confraternity of Christian Doctrine, a group of 15 lay teachers, conducted religious education classes for children attending the public schools. The CCD teachers held classes on Sunday mornings at St. Michael between the two scheduled masses. CCD classes were also being held at the Sts. Peter and Paul Mission.
Also in 1973, St. Michael parish commemorated the building of its first church’s 120th anniversary, and the 50th anniversary of the present day St. Michael church with a confirmation Mass celebrated by Bishop John Scanlon, a fund raising event, and a Flores de Mayo fiesta.
Father Anthony also launched an invigorating restoration, building, and renovation program for the Church and School. He restored the classes temporarily curtailed to increase available funds. Subsequently, he hired Jun Sakauye, architect, to draw plans for a new rectory, sacristy, and 8th grade classroom. In June 1977, he then awarded the bid to Harry Noguchi, contractor for M. Miyachi and Sons Inc., to demolish the old buildings, build the new ones, and do major repair work to specified classrooms.
By December 1977, the contractor had demolished the old buildings, finished all the classroom repair work, built the new present day sacristy, completed construction on the new present day two-story rectory with garage, office and study, dining room area, upstairs living room, and sleeping quarters, and paved the driveways. The Sisters, parents, and PTG officers all pitched in to help paint the classrooms.
On December 4,1977, Bishop John Scanlon celebrated a dedication Mass and blessed the new and repaired structures. The festivity included a procession, the crowning of the Virgin Mary, and a High Mass.
Father Anthony also initiated several fund raising drives including luau plate sales and huli-huli chicken sales.
In 1976, he celebrated his silver jubilee in his vocation. Father Gerard Christopher, SS.CC. and Father Jerry Omakanim, SS.CC. came to St. Michael to assist Father Everaert in 1970, both performing associate pastoral duties for a year. Father Manual Ocana, a priest on temporary assignment from the Philippines, also worked for about a year with Father Everaert in 1973 before returning home. Father Lowell Fisher came to St. Michael in 1973 as an Associate Pastor serving in that capacity for 16 years.
In 1977, when most of the people moved out of the area, Father Anthony closed the Kawailoa mission, saying the last Mass there on October 5,1977.
Sts. Peter and Paul Mission Renovation and Silver Jubilee
In 1977, Father Anthony assigned Father Lowell to serve as pastor for the Sts. Peter and Paul Mission. Father Lowell and the mission members started a renovation program in preparation for the mission’s Silver Jubilee celebration.
Mission members cut down tall grass and weeds, tore down and dumped dilapidated sheds, barnyards and fences, and dug out stumps. They repaired, repainted, and redecorated the mission church and sanctuary. They converted a former shop into Sacred Heart Hall, a gathering place for meetings and religion classes. They also built a classroom under the tower and another gathering place, Father Damien Hall.
Between the tower and Damien Hall, they constructed an outdoor barbecue kitchen. Furthermore, they laid new sidewalks, built stonewalls and planters, and installed a new water system. To store tools, lumbers, supplies, and a backhoe, they built a long shed. Next to it, they built a shade house to grow plants and flowers used to decorate the mission church.
In 1978, Bishop John J. Scanlon, D.D., Father Anthony Everaert, SS.CC., and Father Lowell Fischer, together with the mission community and friends, celebrated the Silver Jubilee of the Sts. Peter and Paul Mission highlighting the renovation program.
Father Gaston Diels, SS.CC. worked with Father Everaert in 1978 and, in 1979, assisted Father Ildephonse Kuntz when he returned to St. Michael again, and this time as parish pastor, replacing Father Anthony Everaert.
The St. Michael Filipino Catholic Club
In his comments to the Catholic Herald in a story about the anniversary of St. Michael Church’s 121st year, Father Anthony noted that, in addition to the Holy Name Society, the Sacred Heart Society, and the PTG, the Filipino Catholic Club was also actively participating in parish activities. Earlier, Monsignor Osmondo A. Calip organized Hawaii Filipino Catholics into parish clubs, then into Island Councils, and then into a Diocesan organization named the Diocesan Congress of Filipino Catholic Clubs (DCFCC). With Monsignor Calip, Waialua Filipino Catholics founded the St. Michael Filipino Catholic Club in 1949.
Holding its first convention at St. Patrick Parish Hall in Kaimuki from November 16-18, 1951, the DCFCC elected Alfred Kilantang from St. Michael’s FCC in Waialua as its the first president and Kauai’s Father Robeck as its first territorial spiritual director.
From the 40′s to present day, the St. Michael Filipino Catholic Club, together with people from other ethnicities, participated in various parish, vicariate, and diocesan events. These events included organizing Flores De Mayo processions; cleaning Church and school property; conducting various fundraising activities; organizing rosary prayers and novenas; putting up Christmas decorations, awarding annual scholarships; organizing Field Day and Dawn Masses, helping in building maintenance and repair work; initiating recognition events for priests and sisters; providing delegation and support to the DCFCC and the religious community; and serving on various ministries and volunteer programs.
Sts. Peter and Paul Mission: The Second Renovation
On Easter Sunday 1983, the missioners and volunteer friends began their second renovation effort when, on November 23, 1982, Hurricane Iwa struck the islands damaging the buildings and grounds of the mission. Rebuilding the church to its present day status, the mission workers extended the church 18′; installed a new roof, ceiling, walls, and electrical materials; laid new sidewalks; replaced the shed; obtained and built pews; and landscaped the grounds. As work continued and, depending upon the weather. Father Lowell held Mass inside Sacred Heart Hall or outside next to the Shrine of Our Lady of Waimea.
Two years later, the mission volunteers removed the Quonset hut from the premises and again renovated the Church roof and classroom buildings.
During the 1980′s to the mid 90′s, the members of Sts. Peter and Paul mission grew into a vibrant Catholic community. Parishioners residing nearby and visitors maintained their high level of attendance and participation in liturgical services and church activities including numerous activities directed at fundraising, promoting fellowship, celebrating special occasions and holidays, fostering religious education, praying the rosary, and continuing maintenance and repair work.
St Michael in the 1980′s
Father Clyde L. Guerreiro, SS.CC. became pastor at St. Michael in 1982. Father Guerreiro worked on various renovation and landscaping projects for the church, school, and mission. He worked closely with St. Michael School, actively participating in school events. For example, with the school. Father Clyde celebrated the feast day of St. Michael the Archangel with prayer, song, and the presentation of flowers. In 1983, he celebrated his birthday with St. Michael School. He also introduced the St. Michael Christmas play “Memories of Christmas.” Assigned to work with Father Clyde, Father Alfred Vann, SS.CC. came to St. Michael in 1984 and stayed for a year.
Taking on larger responsibilities as Provincial Superior of the Sacred Hearts Fathers, Father Clyde left St. Michael in 1984. Thereafter, in 1985, bringing Brother Leo O. Vendiola, SS.CC. to Waialua to assist him, Father Lane Akiona, SS. CC. became Pastor of St. Michael.
With help from Brother Vendiola, parishioners, and other volunteers, Father Lane oversaw several major renovation projects. For the Sisters convent, workers reconstructed the dining area, bedrooms, kitchen, and windows and improved the security of both floors. They also renovated parts of Damien Hall, repairing the stage flooring, basement, and doors. At St. Michael School, they installed new windows and repainted sections of the school. In the Church, the workers removed the altar railings, repainted the inside, and repositioned the statues from the front of the church to the back, placing the statues of the Sacred Heart and the Blessed Mother in an alcove and the statue of St. Michael overlooking the congregation from a stand centered on the choir loft wall. Outside the Church, workers constructed an A Frame structure covering the entrance.
At the suggestion of the Sisters and members of the Filipino Catholic Club, Father Lane initiated the celebration of the Misa De Oallo, a series of nine predawn masses, followed by breakfast and assorted deserts. Also, at St. Michael Church, Father Lane celebrated Sunday evening mass, using guitar-accompanied music and orienting the liturgy to encourage attendance and participation especially among the youth.
After his two-year stay at St. Michael, Father Lane left to the Cook Islands to do missionary .work. Thereafter, Father Paul McLeod, SS.CC., served at St. Michael for a year from 1987 to 1988.
In 1988, Father Stephen Van den Eynde, SS.CC. became Pastor for St. Michael parish. Father Stephen initiated maintenance repair work for the church and school utilizing the help of parishioners and Brother Vendiola He participated in conducting religious instruction to St. Michael students and celebrated special masses with them. lie also conducted RCIA classes. After three years of service at St. Michael, Father Stephen went to St. Patrick for his new assignment.
St. Michael in the 1990′s
In 1991, Father Edward C. Martin, SS.CC. became pastor of St. Michael Parish. Emphasizing Commitment, Strength, Renewal, and Proclamation of the Love of Christ to All as core elements of St. Michael’s mission statement, Father Ed launched activities that, despite the economic hardships and uncertainties correlating with the downsizing and eventual closing of the plantation on October 4, 1996, enhanced the optimism, participation, and contributions of parish members and friends.
Father Ed established the new position of Director of Religious Education to help manage and coordinate the religious education programs and the various ministries for both the mission and at St. Michael. With his encouragement, leaders of the Youth ministry initiated various well-attended programs for youth including confirmation, liturgical services, and other spiritual development activities. Working with the youth leaders, Father Ed published the Sunday church bulletin, a parish directory, and a photo parish album.
Following the recommendation of the school Board and receiving help from parishioners, the St. Michael School community, friends, and a $25,000 gift from the Harry and .Teanetie Weinbcrg Foundation and other donations, Father Ed had the St. Michael Preschool built. In 1992, Sister William Marie Eleniki, OSF became St. Michael School Principal and Director of the Preschool. Subsequently, Sister William Marie, with help from Father Ed, parishioners, the St. Michael School community, and friends, initiated numerous programs and activities strengthening the school’s catholic educational effort and resources, among them, preschool renovations, a new library, a new computer room and equipment, renovated classrooms and office, and landscaped school grounds.
On special holidays such as Christmas and Easter, Father Ed decorated the church and sanctuary in a way that enhanced the splendor and enjoyment of the events and the mass celebrations at St. Michael Church. Renovating the inside of the church, he initiated work refinishing the pews and podium and installed the statues depicting Jesus and his ascension and the Holy Family now located on the front walls of the church. He also had workers repaint sections of the church, mission, and school.
Father Ed started a special collection for the Building Maintenance fund. He also published a portion of the budget informing parishioners of expenditure plans.
He also facilitated the construction of an outreach building and implemented outreach programs of help, including making available the services of a food pantry, parish nurse, and a senior citizen day center. Like his predecessors, Father Ed worked with the members of the Benedictine Monastery Community to maintain continuity of religious services and education. At both the mission and at St. Michael, Father Ed, with help from the parish community and friends, held fundraising activities including a spaghetti dinner, pre-Christmas craft fairs, bazaars, sales, and Misa de Gallo. At the Sts. Peter and Paul mission, also with the help of volunteer work, he had the religious education classrooms renovated and carpeted and fixed the outdoor kitchen, furnishing it with tables and chairs.
In 1997, Father Edward Martin went on his new assignment to become an Army Chaplain.
The Start of the Millennium
Father Albert Garcia, SS.CC., who had joined Father Edward Martin as an Associate Pastor in 1993, became Pastor of St. Michael.
Father Albert worked with the various ministries. He practiced with the choir and members of the liturgical ministry in preparation for services; initiated increased roles of the Youth ministry in the Tridium and in the Art and Environment ministry; conducted training sessions for lectors; and encouraged volunteers in the various ministries to attend Diocesan sponsored workshop/seminars. He also initiated the formation of the St. Michael 150th Anniversary Planning Committee. Assigned to St. Michael in 2001, Deacon Ron Nelson assisted Father Albert in liturgical celebrations and other parish activities.
In April 2003, Father Clarence Guerreiro, SS.CC., Provincial Superior, announced a reorganization plan for the Congregation of the Sacred Hearts Fathers. The plan called for repositioning the Congregation Fathers from the outer islands to Oahu and continued staffing of four parishes currently under the Congregation’s care with a minimum of two priests.
In July 2003, Father Albert went to the Sacred Hearts Bethany Community in Kaneohe for his new assignment. Deacon Ron Nelson left also for his Diocesan assignment.
Father Christopher Keahi, SS.CC., assigned from Holy Cross Parish in Kalaheo, Kauai, became pastor of St. Michael. Father Felix Vandebroek, SS.CC,, coming from St. Raphael in Koloa, Kauai joined Father Keahi as Parochial Vicar.
Under the guidance of Father Christopher, the Anniversary Planning Committee continued its work preparing for the anniversary celebration scheduled on September 28, 2003 consisting of three events: (1) a commemorative service at the crucifix adorning the cemetery adjacent to the site of the original St. Michael Church (2) mass with Bishop Francis X. DiLorenzo, D.D. as celebrant at the present St. Michael Church and (3) a luncheon accompanied with a program, a video presentation, and entertainment in the parish hall. In 2005 Fr. Christopher Keahi SS.CC. was elected Provincial Superior of the Sacred Hearts for province of Hawaii. He is currently in his second term as Provincial Superior and resides at the Provincial House in Kaneohe. Fr. Felix Vandebroek SS.CC. is currently the Pastor at St. Francis in Kalaupapa.
As the history of St. Michael and its Sts. Peter and Paul mission continues now under the pastoral leadership of Father Bertram Lock SS.CC. (2007) and Parochial Vicar Father Johnathan Hurrell SS.CC., the North Shore Catholic Community looks forward to many more years of spiritual growth and development.
With God’s help and blessings, the North Shore Catholic Community shall continue its mission of helping parishioners, members of the larger community, families, friends, and visitors establish, nurture, and sustain their love of God and others through the provision of facilities, activities, and services within the Roman Catholic tradition that meet a wide range of spiritual needs.
Despite the struggles brought by challenging circumstances in its history, the North Shore Catholic Community has endured with determined resiliency strengthened by timely help. Since its inception as a mission in 1840, individuals and groups from each succeeding generation has provided their own special stewardship and sharing of gifts to St. Michael parish, its school, and its mission churches.
Currently, St. Michael multicultural parish population consists of several hundred families. Baptism, Confirmation, Rites of Christian Initiation (RCIA), Religious Education, Catechesis, and St. Michael School continue as primary sources for new membership. Pursuant to the liturgical reforms of Vatican 2, St. Michael and Sts. Peter and Paul now have a variety of ministries increasing lay responsibility and participation.
The experience of St. Michael is a story of several generations of people who helped each other here on the North Shore establish, nourish, practice, and perpetuate their faith in God. The story of St. Michael is also a continuing story of people-clergy, religious, and laypersons- inspired by the dedication of those in the past and in their love of God, praying and working together so that they and future generations can worship God and give Him praise and a worthy dwelling place.
May God bless all the members and friends of St. Michael Parish, the generations of yesterday, today, and tomorrow. With much gratitude and love, we extend our appreciation to all: the founders of our parish, bishops, provincial superiors, principals, priests, brothers, sisters, nuns, deacons, catechists, teachers, parishioners, families, Waialua Sugar Company, managers, administrators, architects, contractors, military personnel, the Holy Name and Sacred Heart Societies, the St. Michael Filipino Catholic Club, other organizations, representatives, and friends of the North Shore Catholic Community, whose devotion, generosity, and the love of God and others, built and now nourishes our St. Michael parish, Sts. Peter and Paul Mission, and St. Michael School.
For all of us who continue our earthly journey, may we obtain guidance, strength, and protection in the Holy Spirit of God as we commemorate and celebrate the 150th Anniversary of St. Michael Parish and the 50th Anniversary of its Sts. Peter and Paul Mission. As we continue forward into the millennium, through the intercession of Blessed Mother Mary and with help from the Lord, we pray that our North Shore Catholic Community will meet the challenges of the future successfully as did those of past generations.
St. Michael the Archangel Patron Saint
Many theologians assign St. Michael a position of honor and influence and venerate him as “Archangel.”
St. Michael obtained his position of honor as a result of the battle he and other angels waged against Lucifer and the rebellious angels prior to creation and, in so doing, rendered glory to God. According to tradition, this Archangel’s shield reveals his name: “Mi-cha-el-Quis ut Deus,” meaning, “Who is like to God” rebuking Lucifer’s prideful claim of being “Like the Most High.”
His name is mentioned at several places in the Bible: in Daniel, the epistle of St. Jude, and the Apocalypse by St. John. According to tradition and scripture, the Church assigns St. Michael with several offices:
- Prince of the Heavenly Hosts, with supreme command
over the heavenly hierarchies
- Defender and Protector of God’s people and the Church
- Heavenly Physician
- Advocate and Consoler of souls
In art, St. Michael is usually represented as an angelic warrior, completely armed with helmet, sword or spear, and with or without a shield (often the shield bears the Latin inscription: Quis ut Deus), standing over a representation of evil (a dragon or fallen angel) whom he has subdued.
Pope John Paul II encouraged Catholics to say the prayer to St. Michael written by Pope Leo the XIII:
“Saint Michael, Archangel, defend us in battle. Be our defense against the wickedness and snares of the devil. May God rebuke him, we humbly pray. And you, Prince of the heavenly host, by the power of God, thrust into Hell Satan and the other evil spirits who prowl the world for the ruin of souls. Amen.”